Alexander Aarvold, MBChB, FRCSEd(Tr&Orth), MFSTEd DM
- Name: Alexander Aarvold
- Degree: BSc(Hons,) MBChB, FRCSEd(Tr&Orth,) MFSTEd, DM
- Title / Position: Consultant Paediatric Orthopaedic Surgeon
- Place of Employment / Office Name: Southampton Children's Hospital
- Street Address: Tremona Road
- City: Southampton
- State/Province: Hampshire
- Zip/Postal code: SO16 6YD
- Country: United Kingdom
- Office phone number: 02380 777222
- Medical or Surgical Specialty: Pediatric Orthopadic Surgery
Professional Education and Memberships
- Medical School: University of Edinburgh
- Residency: St George’s Hospital, London, UK / Wessex Deanery, UK
- Fellowship training:
British Columbia (BC) Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
General Medical Council, UK; Royal College of Surgeons of Edinburgh, UK
- Society Memberships (list up to four only):
British Orthopaedic Association (BOA)
British Orthopaedic Research Society (BORS)
World Orthopaedic Concern (WOC)
International Perthes Study Group (IPSG)
- Specific training in hip dysplasia:
Fellowship in Pediatric Orthopaedic Surgery – BC Children’s Hospital, Vancouver, Canada
- Academic contributions for DDH research or education including publications:
- “A tissue engineering strategy for the treatment of avascular necrosis of the femoral head.” Aarvold A, Smith JO, Tayton ER, Lanham SA, Briscoe A, Dunlop DG, Oreffo ROC. The Surgeon 2013:11:319-25.
- “Enhancing the osteogenic efficacy of human bone marrow aspirate –concentrating osteoprogenitors using wave-assisted filtration.” Aarvold A,* Dawson JI,* Smith JO,* Jones AMH, Ridgway JN, Curran SN, Higgs DR, Dunlop DG, Oreffo ROC. Cytotherapy 2012;15(2):242-52.
- “Skeletal tissue regeneration – current approaches, challenges and novel reconstructive strategies.”Aarvold A,* Smith JO,* Tayton ER, Dunlop DG, Oreffo ROC. Tiss Eng Part B Rev 2011;17(5):307-20 Plus front cover image.
- “Lessons in leadership from an international exchange visit.” Aarvold A, Ardolino A, Boyd R, Kelsall N, McGillion S, Hodkinson S, Goodwin M. International Journal of Clinical Leadership 2011;17(2):87-92 .
- “Skeletal stem cells and bone regeneration: Translational strategies from bench to clinic.” Tare RS, Kanczler JM, Aarvold A, Jones AMH, Dunlop DG, Oreffo ROC. Proc. IMechE 2010;224(12) Part H: J.Engineering in Medicine:1455-70. Review
- “Bone Tissue Engineering.” Dawson JI, Kanczler J, Smith JO, Aarvold A, Dunlop DG, Oreffo ROC. In: Comprehensive Biotechnology . Editors. Z Cui & L Brandon, Publisher: Elsevier, 2011.
- “Skeletal stem cells: phenotype, nanotopography, biomimetic niche and translational biology.” Dawson JI, Kanczler J, Aarvold A, Kingham EJ, Oreffo RO. In: Stem Cells: Basic Biology and Clinical Applications, Editor: M Kassem, Publisher: King Saud University Press, 2011.
- “Clinical applications for skeletal / mesenchymal stem cell therapy.” Tayton ER, Smith JO, Aarvold A, Oreffo RO, Zaleh W, Kassem M. In: Stem Cells: Basic Biology and Clinical Applications, Editor: M Kassem, Publisher: King Saud University Press, 2011.
- “Dislocated but irreducible hips in infants aged <6 months. “ Mulpuri K, Aarvold A, Schaeffer E, Kelly S, Clarke NMP, Price C. International Hip Dysplasia Institute. Under revision for JPO.
- Age groups you are accepting new hip dysplasia patients: Infants and children, Adolescents