John H. Wedge, OC, MD, FRCSC
- Name: John H, Wedge
- Degree: OC, MD, FRCSC
- Title / Position: Professor of Surgery University of Toronto, Chair Sickkids International / IHDI Medical Advisory Board Member
- Place of Employment / Office Name: Hospital for Sick Children
- Street Address: 555 University Avenue, Rm M568
- City: Toronto
- State/Province: Ontario
- Zip/Postal code: M5G 1X8
- Country: Canada
- Office phone number: 416.813.6944
- Office fax number: 416.813.6692
- Medical or Surgical Specialty: Orthopaedic Surgery, Pediatric Orthopaedics
Professional Education and Memberships
- Medical School: University of Saskiatchewan College of Medicine
- Residency: Royal Victoria Hospital MCGill University Montreal, University Hospital Saskatoon Saskatchewan
- Fellowship training:
Hospital for Sick Children Toronto, University of Saskatchewan, University of Oxford Nufield Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
American Board of Orhtopaedic Surgery, Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada, American College of Surgeons
- Society Memberships (list up to four only):
- American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Pediatric Orthopaedic Society of North America
- Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada
- Specific training in hip dysplasia:
AO International Fellowship
- Academic contributions for DDH research or education including publications:
- Wedge JH, Salter RB: Innominate osteotomy: Its role in the arrest of secondary degenerative arthritis of the hip in the adult. Clinical Orthopaedics 1974: 98: pp 214-224.
- Wedge JH, Wasylenko MJ: The natural history of congenital dislocation of the hip: A critical review. Clinical Orthopaedics 1978: 137: pp 154-162.
- Wedge JH, Wasylenko MJ: The natural history of congenital disease of the hip. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 1979: 61B: pp 334-338.
- White WE, Wedge JH, Sargent CM: Failure analysis of Charnley-Muller total hip replacement prosthesis. Microstructural Science 1979: 7: pp 27-39.
- Salter RB, Hamilton HW, Wedge JH, Tile M, Torode IP, O’Driscoll SW, Murnaghan JJ, Saringer JH: Clinical application of basic research on continuous passive motion for disorders and injuries of synovial joints: A preliminary report of a feasibility study. Journal of Orthopaedic Research 1984: 1: pp 325-342.
- Wedge JH: Assessing children’s legs and feet. Canadian Family Physician 1985: 31: pp 595-598.
- Wedge JH, Powell JN, Ulmer BG, Reynolds R: Biodegradable resurfacing of the hip in dogs. Clinical Orthopaedics 1986: 208: pp 76-ff.
- Wedge JH: Hip pain in adolescence. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 1987: 225: pp 93-103.
- D’Antonio JA, Capello WN, Border LS, Bargar WL, Bierbaum BF, Boettcher WG, Steinberg ME, Stulberg SD, Wedge JH: Classification and management of acetabular abnormalities in total hip arthroplasty. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 1989: 243: pp 126-137.
- Wedge JH, Munkacsi J, Loback D: Anteversion of the femur and idiopathic osteoarthrosis of the hip. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 1989: 71A: pp 1040-1043.
- Wedge JH, Wasylenko MJ, Houston CS: Minor anatomic abnormalities of the hip joint persisting from childhood and their possible relationship to idiopathic osteoarthrosis. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 1991: 264: pp 122-128.
- McKenna PH, Khoury AE, McLorie GA, Churchill BM, Babyn PB, Wedge JH: Iliac osteotomy: A model to compare the options in bladder and cloacal exstrophy reconstruction. Urology 1994: 151: pp 182-187.
- Wedge JH, Cummiskey DJ: Primary arthroplasty of the hip in patients who are less than twenty-one years old. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 1994: 76A: pp 1732-1741.
- Wedge JH: Osteotomy of the pelvis for the management of hip disease in young adults. Canadian Journal of Surgery 1995: 38(1): pp S25-S32.
- Wedge JH: Editorial: Hip joint acetabular dysplasia. Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics 1997: 17(2): pp 4-5.
- Roposch A, Wedge JH: An incomplete periacetabular osteotomy for treatment of neuromuscular hip dysplasia. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2005: 431: pp 166-175.
- Roposch A, Wedge JH, Krahn M: The role of the ossific nucleus in the treatment of established hip dislocation. Clinical Orthopaedics and Related Research 2006: 449: pp 295-302.
- Thomas SR, Wedge JH, Salter RB: Outcome at forty-five years after open reduction and innominate osteotomy for late-presenting developmental dislocation of the hip. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery 2007: 89: pp 2341-50.
- Wedge J, Thomas S, Salter R: Outcome at forty-five years after open reduction and innominate ostoeotmy for late-presenting developmental dislocation of the hip. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery (American) 2008: 90 Suppl 2: pp 238-53.
- Wedge JH: Dislocation and epiphyseal separation. In: The Hip and Its Disorders (Steinbert ME, ed). W.B. Saunders Company, Philadelphia 1991: pp 129-143.
- Wedge JH: Hip: Pediatric aspects. In: Orthopaedic Knowledge Update 4, Home Study Syllabus (Frymoyer JW, ed). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Illinois 1993: pp 505-513.
- Wedge JH, Cummiskey DJ: Primary arthroplasty of the hip in patients younger than twenty one years old. In: Instructional Course Lectures (Jackson DW, ed). American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, Illinois 1995: pp 275-280.
- Wedge JH, Bogoch ER: The surgical management of juvenile arthritis. In: Oxford Textbook of Orthopedics and Trauma (Buckwalter J, Bulstrode C, Carr A, Fairbank J, Marsh L, Wilson-MacDonald J., eds). Oxford University Press, London, United Kingdom 2002.
- Age groups you are accepting new hip dysplasia patients: Not accepting new patients